Saturday, March 6, 2010

Breakfast Bars from Scratch

My entry in the Outside the Box Challenge:


I have been really making a greater effort to make what we eat from scratch. But my biggest desire and hurdle lately has been trying to eradicate Nutri-Grain Bars from the cupboard.  Both my husband and son (2yrs) absolutely love them.
I scoured the internet trying to find a suitable replacement replacement and it was pretty difficult to find something but I came pretty close when I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen.
I made a few edits:
*Substituted Whole Wheat Flour in place of All Purpose Flour
*I only had 10oz of Organic Raspberries in my freezer so I added 6oz of a mixed bag of berries including, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries.
I’m going to attempt to freeze these and see what happens because the ability to pull them out whenever would be a plus.  I’m also going to really play around with the recipe now that I see how it works and try and make it more of a fruity nutritious bar instead of a sugary treat…  It’s nice to have the taste of grains in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment