Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shampoo Warnings: Know what You're Scrubbing With

I recently embarked on my own soap-making adventure.  The results have been less than stimulating so far, but I will try a new batch once I reach my new home in Queens.  I will be certain to update here with any results of note.

The reasons are vast to make your own soap, cosmetics and even cleaning products.  Although there are a lot more options out there it seems to me that reading the labels and knowing what to look for (just like with food) is a good place to start.  Herbal Essences, a brand I used a lot as a teenager is taking steps to cut down on 1,4 dioxane... which according to most sites is a carconigenic chemical and is bad, bad, bad. " Herbal Essences contains so much dioxane, in fact, that it should carry a warning label required for cancer-causing chemicals under California's Proposition 65." (via fast company).


Don't just trust a shampoo if it says "herbal", or "cruelty free" read this buying guide from National Geographic's, Green Guide for more answers.  Beware of 1,4 dioxane, diethanolamine (DEA), formaldehyde, fragrance and parabens and check all your cosmetics for the Green Guide's Dirty Dozen.


You can get a triple pack of  Burt's Bees Shampoo on Overstock for $22.99 which isn't bad and passes!

You know it's really questionable whether the amounts of these chemicals can really effect you or not.  I think it is a viable assumption that using any with regards to a little child's body is probably not a good idea.  And really if you have to question it do you really want to?

1 comment:

  1. Making your own soap? How very "Fight Club" of you! Thanks for the scary info! Now, I've got to go check my shampoos for poisons?? Yikes!

    P.S. The blog is looking good! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete