Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Green Striped Men's Hat


Wednesday, January 11, 2012
I think my husband was getting a little jealous with all this hat making (before The Little Man Hat I had made two for my sister and sister-in-law).  He requested a gray hat and a green stripe using the green from Little Man's (Aslan Alpaca Basil).  So while in Saratoga over winter break I stopped byCommon Thread on Beekman Street.  I bought some gray Invernal yarn and it ended up having kind of a green cast to it so it was pretty perfect.  It's a very cozy, warm and modern and he actually likes it (which is kind of amazing)!

This one I did totally by measuring not row counting. I still used the size 5 circular needles and a set of double sided needles as well.

I cast on 100 stitches and k1, p1 the ribbing for 2 inches (I wanted it a thicker ribbing just because of the shape of his head)
I measured his head like I did here so I knew how long the hat needed to be before I started rounding it off (about six inches).

Then I just knit(in the knit stitch) for 3 inches until I wanted to make the green stripe. I made the stripe about 1/2inch long, five rows.

Then I changed back to my gray yarn and knit 1 1/2 inches before I began my spiral decreasing in the same manner as here. Where I *(ktog2 k23),repeat from *. Next row *(ktog2 k22), repeat from *. and continued to decrease in that manner

Et voila:
Wouldn't you know it, but after all this hat making I actually lost my own hat.  I guess I have my next knitting project!  

No comments:

Post a Comment