Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sneakster Dinners: Spaghetti and Magic Meatballs


Friday, January 6, 2012
By Golly I easily found another delicious way to use kale!  I hate seeing things go to waste in my fridge so when I used half a bunch of kale in the hearty tuscan soup, I was thinking about other ways to use it.  Last night was meatball night and I always like to sneak "good" things into mix meats.  Usually I grate some carrots into my meatball mix so why not chop some kale up like parsley and use that too?  I only used about 4 or 5 leaves because if things get to crazy it will instantly be rejected by Little Man.  So, I removed the stems, chopped it up and threw it in!




My pretty much no fail meatball mix is so easy it hurts me to write it:

1pound ground sirloin (I buy two pounds at the beginning of the week and use half for taco night and half for meatball night)
1 egg
A pour of Worchester Sauce (Count to Three)
3 or so handfulls of Italian Style dried bread crumbs
1/4 to 1/2 cup low fat grated parmesan (that's what I keep in the house but sometimes treat us to a chunk of the real stuff and just microplane a 1/4 cup in)
1 Carrot washed, peeled, and microplaned(grated)
three shakes of garlic powder
pinch of salt & pepper
and the new addition 4-5 stemmed and finely finely chopped kale!



Ball them and brown them in the frying pan using olive oil and roll with your tongs (a new way I tried to ball them this time was to use the ice cream scooper my mother in-law got me from a pampered chef party.  I usually use it for cookies but thought it was worth a try.  They were all pretty much the same size this way).

Pop 'em in a baking dish or on a cookie sheet and into the oven at 350F for about 30 minute or longer... you cant really hurt them to much.

I really wanted to make a quick spaghetti sauce to go with them and it is certainly hard for me to pass up Smitten Kitchen's Tomato Sauce recipe that we probably all know by now.  She suggests using San Marzano tomatoes but we prefer Tuttorosso.  It's pretty much all the effort and time that I had at the moment and I think it's delicious.

The Smitten Tomato Sauce is so yummy (and by the way delicious on chicken parm)
onion tomatoes butter that's it!
Cook on stovetop for 45 minutes squishing the tomatoes and stirring every once in a while.

My husband does not like chunky sauce so I always whip it a little for him to get the chunks out.  


Cook the meatballs for a bit in the pot
 Et Voila:



The response was, well, amazing.  Little Man ate THREE meatballs and the Baby ate TWO!  Really!  They are decent sized!  My husband and I really enjoyed them as well.  Dare I say that kale will be added to the grocery list?  At $1.05 for the bunch I don't see why not!

I'm thinking the butter and parmesan pretty much counter-acted the kale and carrots... but OH WELL it was TASTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment